Good Food and Whine

As many people know, the Good Food and Wine Show is coming up this Thursday the 13th of May running through to Sunday the 16th. From seeing what was on show last year I am very excited to see what they have up their sleeves this year. As well as a host of other world renowned chefs including Pâtissier Eric Lanlard, chocolate wizard Willie Harcourt-Cooze, Italian supremo Giorgio Locatelli and Flamboyant Indian chef Reza Mahammad; the infamous Gordon Ramsay will be gracing us with his presence. Here is where my whine comes in. By purchasing a basic ticket for R70 (R80 if bought online), the public get at great gift pack and entrance into the exhibition where one can see these fabulous chefs in action cooking up a storm. But Oh No, in order to catch Ramsay in action, we get charged more than four times more (R300) for 15 minutes with the man himself! To put it mildly, I find this rather frustrating!

I understand that Mr Ramsay is incredibly well renowned and it is a once in a lifetime chance to view the man’s culinary genius in action, but can that too not be said for the host of other incredible chefs who will be there? It puts a bitter taste in my mouth, but not sour enough to put me off the show completely. I am so looking forward to seeing the chocolate wizard, Willie Harcourt-Cooze and the marvellous Indian cuisine Queen Reza Mahammad

My plan is to casually peruse what’s on offer at the show, while keeping a beady eye out for the notorious Ramsay. When I have him in my sights (hopefully not with 20 body guards in tow!) I will let rip with a few of my thoughts about his arrogant and insensitive attitude, maybe adding a swear word or two in for good measure as he seems to understand these more than the English language as a whole! Well as I say, that is the plan anyway. Of course I would love to see Ramsay cooking up a storm, but being a lowly student, I do not feel that he deserves a huge pay check for it! I am Sorry Mr Ramsay.

I am also excited to see the range of wines they have on offer and cannot wait to taste some of South Africa's finest wines. So, until then, I shall prepare my speech and look forward to seeing the chefs who find joy in showing the public their art without taking an arm or leg in the process! Watch this space to see if I succeed in my mission impossible together with my thoughts on the show.

0 comments:

Post a Comment