The Good Food and Wine Show

This past Saturday I spent the day at the Good Food and Wine Show where exhibitors of all kinds filled the halls of the Cape Town Convention Centre. After receiving my Gift bag and taking a peek to see what surprises it contained (Countless pamphlets and a packet of rice!), and getting my wine tasting glass I began making my way around the hall. This was somewhat of a process in itself as it was packed to the brim with eager tasters and foodies all wanting to get in on the action. From sauces to saucepans, anything and everything to do with food and wine was there for the taking

As it was so well attended, it was unfortunately quite tricky to actually taste the tantalising treats on show and therefore I missed out on many of the products available. That said, one such product that stood out had to be “Pesto Princess”. Beautifully clad in enchanting fairy wings, these lovely ladies (and man!) were showcasing their scrumptious assortment of pestos and pastes that were utterly delicious! So delicious in fact that every time I walked past their store, they were rapidly replenishing their tasting pots with more colourful assortments of appetizing condiments.

Something that was rather entertaining was the “Get fresh with BBC lifestyle” area where keen cooks where testing their talents on recipes by some of the most famous chefs. I was able to sneak a peek while Indian cuisine connoisseur Reza Mahammad was instructing his students on how to cook the most succulent seared tune and rice dish. He is fantastically flamboyant and I thoroughly enjoyed watching him.

Moving on to the wine exhibits, I was pleased to see a large contingent of vineyards that were unknown to me. This was a good thing as it allows the smaller wine farms and boutique cellars that are located further afield a chance to showcase their unique varieties. One that stood out to me was “Four colours” wines (pictured left). Their wonderful exhibit and unusual but beautiful bottles impressed me and that was before even tasting their wines! Although very reasonable, their wines were lovely and light and good value for money. Definitely a wine I will be buying in the future.

The only disappointing part of the show was the fact that I didn’t get to speak my mind to Gordon Ramsay, or even catch a glimpse of him for that matter, but with all the lovely products on show I completely forgot about it. So for all of you who got to see Mr. Ramsay in action, you are some lucky buggers! For all of you who didn’t, don’t stress, he is on BBC Lifestyle EVERY SINGLE NIGHT!

All-in-all the show was a great success and very entertaining. From cocktail masters to master frother’s, anything one would wish for to do with food and wine was brilliantly showcased under one roof. I will definitely be back next year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment